Friday, December 30, 2011

2011 Summary

So 2011 is coming to an end and it might deserve a few minutes of consideration, short analysis of what has happened during last twelve months. A few points I can think of right now:

  • in April I went to the wonderful DDD&CQRS class run by Greg Young. Many thanks to my company for sponsoring my trip to Kraków (not that it was expensive - would probably attend even if I had to pay for it myself)! Since then we started changing our architecture. It's still in-progress and there might be a need to fight some resistance from above before we can implement more innovation but I hope it will go well. 
  • as a result I signed in for Twitter. Was skeptical at first but it turned out to be amazing tool for continuous learning  and an almost complete replacement for my RSS reading list. I also found some brilliant folk to follow and what they tweet really affects my everyday work. Thanks tweeple! From my side I think I could tweet more and participate in some discussions (though they often happen when I'm asleep - damn you, Central Europe timezone!)
  • I also started blogging. Unfortunately I didn't write many posts, probably should do it more often, in order to practice my written english if not for anything else. That leaves some place for improvement in 2012.
  • As for my everyday work - I've become a team lead. That's not really something I enjoy but I'm trying not to flee from this responsibility - someone has to do the job. I think I'm slowly getting used to it and it's causing a bit less pain then it initially did. And I get more possibilities to change the way the team I am part of works, to improve it.
  • Oh, almost forgot - I also changed teams. Last team got its size decreased because of BAs inefficiency (not enough work to do for devs). I joined one of the Hospital Information System teams, then switched to the team lead position in another few months later. I wasn't really happy about people around me changing so rapidly but now I'm okay with my new place. 
Okay, that would be it. Just a short summary of things I could think of. That wasn't a bad year, had many positive changes, some bad ones, but I can't really complain about it. Hopefully 2012 will be even better.

Wishing everyone that might stumble upon this post a better new year! (especially those in Samoa for whom it's coming sooner than usual)

No comments:

Post a Comment